WPIAL Mines Gold Medals at PIAA Track Meet


WPIAL Mines Gold Medals at PIAA Track Meet


Schofield, Paul, Tribune-Review/Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

SHIPPENSBURG -- It didn't take long for the WPIAL to get its first gold medalist Saturday at the PIAA track and field championships.
District 7 was shut out Friday, but South Fayette senior Nicole Hilton won the 3,200 meters almost 11 minutes after Day 2 started at 9 a.m. at Shippensburg University.
She wasn't the only athlete from the WPIAL to win gold; 9 others collected 11 more championships.
Penn Hills senior Iman Wilkerson (Class AAA) and Clairton junior Trenton Coles (Class AA) headed the list by sprinting to wins in the 100 and 200. Hempfield senior Rachel Serafin won her third consecutive Class AAA discus title, and Belle Vernon senior Matt Green won his second Class AAA long jump title. He also won in 2009.
Other winners were Quaker Valley junior L.J. Westwood (AA, 800), Summit Academy senior Cyniel Hinton (AA, 110 hurdles), Norwin junior Kasey Kemp (AAA, pole vault), North Hills junior Margo Malone (AAA, 3,200) and West Mifflin senior Jasmine Hays (AAA, triple jump).
It was a special day for Coles, who became a third-generation state sprint winner. His grandfather, Norm Jones, won the 100-yard dash in 1971, and his late mother, Marla Puryear-Smith, was a three- time state champion (1986, '88 and '89).
Jones attended the track championships and was asked to present the gold medals to the sprinters.
"It's so nice to join them," Coles said of his fellow gold medalists. "The 100 was a surprise because of my shaky starts. The 200 was close, and I got pushed. I can't wait to get back here."
Coles has lived with Jones after the passing of his mother. His grandfather has helped train him.
"He always talking stuff on me and reminds me that he won the 100,' Coles said. "My grandfather has helped me a lot the past few weeks.
"We don't have a track at school, and we practice only two days a week. He changed my stance in the blocks, and now I'm comfortable."
Jones shed a tear when he talked about his grandson winning two state titles.
"I don't have words to describe my feelings," Jones said. "I'm so proud of him. I wasn't surprised that he won the 100. ... I knew if he got out first, he'd win."
Wilkerson said she left it all on the track after winning her first individual state gold medals

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mines Tighten Belts as Gold Boom Ends

Mining Battle Lines Drawn Zz Gold Mines Set for Strike after Talks Fail